How many times did it happen to you that you planned to carry out an important task and got distracted by a notification from a social media app? It happens every day because in this fast-paced technology-filled world it’s harder than ever to focus because a lot of things are there to distract us.
Let’s name some digital distractions that distract most of us every day: Our favorite celebrity is sharing a live video on Facebook, our best friend added to his story on Instagram, a text message about a discount at a well-known brand, a news notification from a web browser and a lot of email notifications. Besides these digital distractions, there are distractions coming from other sources like surrounded by children, spouse, chatty co-workers, etc. Similarly, your hunger or exhaustion also proves to be a big source of distraction.
But we need to focus to get things done; if we keep looking at our phone every two minutes or engage in meaningless activities then only a miracle can get our project done, otherwise, it’s not possible to get it done.
So, what focus exactly is? Focus is all about the ability to concentrate on steps needed to fulfill your purpose and, to avoid all those distractions that draw you away from your purpose. With a focused mind, you disregard irrelevant thoughts and fully involve yourself in the task you intend to undertake.
Unfortunately, we disregard, overlook and ignore it completely while discussing the factors behind the success. In fact, the focus is one of the most important factors behind success like motivation, creativity, network building, etc. So, let’s explore why being focused is important in life:
Why is focus important?
- Without good focus your ability to think suffers greatly, you can’t have good perception; you can’t be smart learners; you can’t be good problem solvers; your memory can’t be strong enough; and finally, your decision making can’t be so effective. So, when your focus is not good enough, how can your thinking be effective, and when your thinking is not effective, how is it possible to be successful. Multiple thoughts consistently occupy your mind and compete with one another for getting your attention; this is only you who can allow or restrict those distractions.
- Without a strong mental focus, you can’t be as effective in your work as you should be. Because when you are not paying attention to the right things or getting distracted, you cannot accomplish what you are supposed to do. Similarly, your work efficiency is not up to the mark without good focus, because whenever your mind diverts to random things, it’s just a wastage of your precious time and it takes longer to accomplish a given task.
- Your productivity is also largely a product of your focus, if you are not focused you can never deliver work excellence. Focus enhances your productivity. Distractions are always there to draw your attention. It is up to you whether you follow those distractions or stay focused. Focus lets you be more productive at your work. It allows you to concentrate on the task at hand while ignoring other things. Focus more to be more productive
- Focus is one of the qualities that differentiate successful people from others because they pay attention to what they are doing. When we allow distractions to dominate our mind, then we are dealing with multiple thoughts and fewer cognitive resources are available to perform the task at hand. This is why multitasking is not a good choice always. When you don’t focus on what you are doing, you let your attention follow your thoughts, and you do that task absentmindedly. When you do focus, you even enjoy the tasks that seem boring. The tasks that you dislike become interesting simply by paying attention.
- Being more focused can change your life significantly. Whenever you strive to improve your life by focusing on your actions more and more, it will begin to improve automatically. The better you focus, the better your life will be.
- The better focus will allow you to find the ways that you don’t even imagine. When lost in the issues of life, we even don’t consider the existing and potential opportunities. By focusing more and more, you will welcome new and better opportunities to your life every day. So, don’t get distracted, and remember that focus is vital in your life to find better opportunities.
- Focus improves your knowledge. When you intend to strengthen your focus muscle, your learning experience improves automatically, and improved learning leads to improved knowledge. So, always focus on what you are doing, there will be distractions in your way, but you have to focus consistently.
- It encourages you to accomplish your objectives. Focus decides the level of success in your life. When you will be focused, success will follow you as you will be engaged in accomplishing your objectives and utilize all your energies, time, and efforts towards accomplishing them. On the other hand, if you will not focus, your time and other resources will be squandered. You will come across a lot of things every day but you have to decide what is significant and needs attention. When you are striving to pursue your objectives, focus on them and work consistently until you accomplish them
- Focus encourages you to be more efficient. When you are focused, nobody can hinder your way towards success. Focused individuals stick around their main goal. They work on their objectives every day. This makes them prosperous faster than anyone else. Although many people have definite objectives, however, they never stay consistent. This inconsistency proves to be the major hurdle towards their success. Smart people never let distractions block their way. So, focusing is significant in your life to make the progress you want.
Being focused can transform your life completely. Successful people never underestimate the power of focusing because they know the level of focus is actually the determinant of the level of success in life. When your actions will be aligned with your focus the results will be mind-blowing.
Facebook : Think Different Nation
Instagram : Think Different Nation
Twitter : @TDN_Podcast